Sunday 6 April 2014

Blackbeard's Tea Party - The West End Centre Aldershot - 5th April 2014

Still recovering from this one. I'd heard their reputation for a good live show but DANG! Ok firstly I've gotta say they are a lovely bunch. Interested, interesting, affable - well I won't embarrass them too much but I really, really liked them when I met them in the afternoon. I've also played tracks from their current album in my shows, and love that as well. They're pegged as folk-rock but what caught my ear was fusion; prog-rock and shredding so be in no doubt these people are seriously good musicians with major league chops.
BUT what makes them so good live is that they put on a show! A real all dancing; all-singing show. The stage is split into 3 areas. On the right we have the rock-zone - awesome fusion bass-behemoth with staggeringly immense access to pedals and effects - none of which he actually needs - shredder on guitar (who very graciously gave me a quick guided tour of his whammy pedal). They do choreographed status quo type dancing while peeling off incredible riffs and licks. Stage centre is the percussion section (no drummer) - two fellas on an array of stuff who set up this incredible sort of 'jungle clatter' that powers the ensemble along. I'm not being flippant - it's a hell of a trick and posits this lot in a strange sort of club music zone. Finally, on the left we have...well...violin, melodian, glamour, and an absolutely hilarious frontman. He'd won the audience over with his opening line and then just got funnier and funnier as the evening went on! He also inhabits two worlds simultaneous as, while he is clearly on stage with Blackbeard's Tea Party, he also appears to be in a Euro-disco circa 1978 dancing to a Daniele Baldelli set! I can't find any footage which really does them justice (their live sound is way more raucous than it appears to be on youtube), but here they are building up a head of steam. Note how they create those 3 areas, and that there is always something going on visually...

You thought I was making it up didn't you? By the way 4 part harmony vocals (which you know I love) as well. I wasn't supposed to be at the gig but having seen their soundcheck I had to negotiate being able to stay for their first set. 45mins seemed to pass in 3mins! Ok here they are with a favourite of mine. You also get a sample of the brilliant frontman patter; that Daniele Baldelli set kicking in at about the 4:00 mark; and those gorgeous harmonies at 4:58...

Special mention for the last two tracks of the set. The penultimate one was where they deployed the chops - all sorts of syncopation, fusion, and shredding from all of them - it brought the place down. Last track was a quiet closer but I detected some New York minimalist action creeping in (and a beautiful violin solo by the way) - not what you'd expect from folk rock.
They're on tour now - but booking more dates so here's a link to their website where the gigs will all be listed. DON'T MISS THEM.
Oh you can also get their latest album there as well
 

No comments:

Post a Comment